Photo: Walkers pause above Aghios Stephanos beach; Serifos island in far distance.
x Hot weather prompts July, August pause
x Autumn weather favours hiking, warm sea
x Mulling self-guided tour options in 2023
Hiking on the Greek island of Kythnos and its Cycladic neighbour Serifos (www.kythnoshiking.com) is taking its
traditional pause for much of July and August in order to avoid overheating walkers and the risk of dehydration.
We will return at the end of August with renewed vigour and vim to walk our cross-country trails from traditional
villages, to ancient city excavations, historic castles, past farmside churches, and to Kythnos's many sandy beaches.
The weather will remain fine in September and the sea temperature will be nearing its peak, favouring our optional
afternoon activities of sea kayak, snorkel, personal massage, and yoga on different beaches we pass.
For Serifos, we plan a five-day tour from Saturday 17 September, wedged in between weekly Kythnos tours
starting on Monday 29 August through to the end of October.
There is still space on many of our weekly tours and booking is open on www.kythnoshiking.com.
Kythnos Hiking, which cooperates with a number of tour operators, is also approved by Responsible Travel for our
efforts to support nature on Kythnos and its local communities.
For 2023, we are considering self-guided tours which we currently only operate with dedicated partners under their
brand. We would provide extensive trip notes in addition to our Kythnos Hiking Guide (published by Terrain Maps).
This would satisfy a popular demand while robbing guests of guiding by knowledgeable local guides. Also we are
concerned by the scope for self-guided walkers getting lost on our poorly marked paths.
Please supply your thoughts on self-guided to email@example.com.
- Delightful donkeys, mules light up Kythnos trails - slideshow
- Traditional Kythnos villages host walkers across Greek island - slideshow
- Vryokastro finds show off Kythnos's ancient history - slideshow
- Kythnos has most beaches in Greek Cycladic islands - slideshow
- Music, culture keep Kythnos's strong traditions alive - slideshow
- Highs of Kastro Orias reveal slice of Kythnos history - slideshow
- Kythnos sea kayak, snorkel ideal mid-day break in heat - slideshow
- Multitude of churches reflect Kythnos's religious fervour - slideshow
- Cheese, honey, wine lead Kythnos farming activity - slideshow
- Top 10 highlights of a 6-day Kythnos Hiking tour
- Nine places on Serifos you ought to visit on your Greek hiking tour with Kythnos Hiking
- Top 10 Kythnos beach bars for a refreshing walk pause
- Fine dining at these top taverna on Kythnos
- Kythnos springs into life, turns green for early season nature tours, guided hiking
- Kythnos nature tour finds rare flowers, birds; to run again in 2023
- Kythnos Hiking quiz tests your knowledge of Greek island
- Kythnos Hiking looks to Sept, Oct tour pick-up after pause for hot weather risks